March 24, 2008

“Those other blogs...”

I’ve been surfing a lot lately. Surfing the blogosphere that is. The weird thing is, four or five months ago the blogosphere was as mysterious and uninteresting to me as the inner sanctums of a mormon temple. And now I find myself jumping from one blogger’s summer reading list to another’s, lost deep in the labyrinth of mommy-blogomania. After hours wasted on late-night blog surfing, my tired eyes have come to rest back at home. I shouldn’t go out at night alone anymore. My brain is bamboozled and I just.can’t.take it.anymore.

Here’s the problem: where did all the normal people go? Oh sure, there are some (OK, A LOT) of readable blogs from believable people who lead ordinary lives. But for every 20 real-life blogs I find, there’s always one that just deletes my memory bank and makes me think I’m the only normal person left on this planet. I’m talking about those superhuman, supermom, marathon-running, epic-writing, bread-winning, world (or at least blogosphere) -read, 3 course dinner’s ready before 7 mother of 5 kids (or just one beautiful and amazing one). Or the generous-hearted, kind and beautiful, modest and optimistic mother who’s experienced tragic loss and still gives hope to everyone and makes us mortals bow in retribution.

Does anyone know what I’m talking about? Does anyone else read these blogs and think, “D--n, what the f--k am I doing wasting space in this world? I’m not worthy!”

Well, hopefully no one gets a wild hare and goes and makes rules or anything about who can and who can’t waste space on the internet.

My graduate advisor kindly told me once that she thinks all her students should take a writing course. She made this decision after reading a draft of my thesis...2 years later she finally agreed to let me graduate...My point? I’m not the world’s greatest writer (according to at least two people on the planet). But that ain’t stopped me yet. Nor should it stop you, lonely mother of 3 with an ordinary husband, an ordinary house, and lots on her mind. Motherhood (heck, life whatever you may be or do) deserves a thousand, no make that a million, voices, and thanks to the blogosphere those voices can be shared.


*Foot note: none of my descriptions refer to any one blog in particular. Please don’t go looking for the mommy blogger who runs marathons, brings home the bacon and gets dinner on the table while raising 5 perfect kids. She doesn’t exist. Or maybe she does, but at least I haven’t read her.

2 comments:

ScienceMama said...

A million voices and counting!

The bean-mom said...

I think that is one of the neatest things about the blogosphere--that it gives us the opportunity to share all our ordinary lives, and realize that the ordinary can actually be darn interesting and worthy of attention.

You're so right: life is worth a million voices, and more.

By the way, regardless of what your graduate advisor said--I think you're a great writer. It's why I keep coming back to read more!