March 10, 2008

What’s for dinner?

So occasionally I’d like to write about my adventures in cooking, which have become more adventurous and less cooking in the past year, but whatever. It’s food. EAT IT. I love to cook. I’m not sure if I’m really good at it, or just good at reading directions. And sometimes, clearly, I can’t even accomplish that.

Last night I decided to cook up our acorn squash and thought I’d find some recipe on Epicurious that used quinoa so we might have some protein. And all I have to say is “WTF happened to my food?” Why I thought 1 inch cubes of acorn squash would completely cook in 20 minutes when barely covered in liquid is a mystery to me, but I’ve decided I’m going to blame the 98 reviewers that claimed this recipe was flawless and delectable. After simmering for nearly an hour, some of the squash was still al dente and squash should not be al dente. EVER.

And it’s spicy as all hell, but that’s ok, as long as you’re not planning on feeding it to a one year old. In the end, though, I gotta say it was a tasty dinner, especially on nights #2 and #3.

Check it out here.

No comments: