March 09, 2008

Another Life

Listening to Science Friday podcast from NPR and it’s actually about the degradation of the world’s oceans. Before I became an expert poop-wiper and professional milk cow, I used to study this stuff, got a graduate degree studying it, am still passionate about it. Listening to a panel of world-class scientists speak in Boston, MA, at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting, I realized I actually know 2 of the 4 speakers, have met with them and even did research with one. Rather than make me feel all-knowledgeable and learn-ed, this fact made me kinda sad. I used to be a part of all this, the nation’s army of scientists learning how our little blue and green world works, and in my case, working towards protecting our little marble and its many seas and oceans. I studied with incredible minds and learned amazing things, had unforgettable experiences and the opportunity to do great things. So how do I find my place in this world of expert and laymen, working man(and woman) and home maker, people who’s brains are constantly being stretched and strained, and those like me who’s brains have turned to inert tofu?

1 comment:

The bean-mom said...

As a fellow scientist turned stay-at-home-mom, I know exactly how you feel.

Found you through the link on Sciencmama's site. Love your blog, and I think you're funny as heck! (well, not this particular post, but others)