My mother likes to collect things. All sorts of things, but mostly antiques. She has multiple sets of antique painted glass juice jars that fill most of the cabinet above her "mini-bar" that we are not allowed to use. Ever. Yes, I find this completely ridiculous and a total waste of space in an already very crowded house. But that's her prerogative.
She's even tried to get me, and now my son, to become collectors, too. When I was in college she decided my interest in marine biology justified having a collection of rubber ducks, but when I showed a lack of interest in collecting them myself, she collected them for me. And mailed them to me. I guess the upside of her weird obsession is that now Punkin has a large collection of rubber duckies for his bathtub. She also has started a collection of wind-up toys for Punkin, and I'm ashamed to say this one was rather contagious. Shortly after we arrived back in Seattle I saw some wind-ups at a toy store that my mother didn't have and I couldn't help myself - I slapped down $6 for those suckers.
I documented a few of her wackier purchases this summer and I'll share them with you over the next few weeks. Sorry - I didn't get a picture of the glasses. I didn't think they were that interesting.
Catch up, stock up, and a timely metaphor
5 months ago
1 comment:
Angelina Jolie Ducky does not look happy next to Jacques Cousteau Ducky. Neither does Devil Ducky next to 5am Ducky. Who knows what will happen at the next hot tub party?
Will there soon be more duckies? My guess - these duckies will multiply! Can we expect any normal ducks in this line-up? Doubtful! How does Punkin feel about all this? Inquiring minds want to know. Is he avoiding baths these days, or, considering his happy go lucky party attitude, is it likely he can't wait for his next bath? He was unavailable for comment regarding this situation. The question is: "Do these ducks embarrass him?" Will people judge him by his duck friends, or will they see him for who he is? Is it fair to judge him instead of his grandmother who is encouraging these eclectic hot tub parties?
Post a Comment