August 20, 2008

Piss Poor

My day has gone from cranky, tired, headache day in crummy cloudy cold Seattle (it's AUGUST people!!!) to that day where I might finally sell the kid to some gypsies and take off to live alone in Taos, New Mexico (I've always thought single people with a rebellious streak and a love of the outdoors would run away to a dessert mountain town - I think I've been reading too much Barbara Kingsolver).

Since I've gotta blame someone for my $h!tty day, I've decided it's the U.S. women's gymnastic team for keeping me up till midnight, and my husband (of course - who doesn't blame their spouse when everything goes wrong at home and they're not here?), and my family (of course - easy target). (I guess that's more than just someone).

It started off with Punkin wetting the bed at 7:15 this morning. Yes he was wearing a diaper, yes we have a mattress cover, yes it still managed to soak the mattress, and yes, I'm talking about my mattress, not his.

After my husband told me not to worry about it and my mother told me to put the mattress out in the sun (um, it weighs close to 500lbs and I live in Seattle. where it's raining. IN AUGUST!!!), I then found some extensive advice online and spent 2 hours trying to follow that advice while simultaneously dealing with a toddler who has decided he's going to act as much like a 2 year old as he possibly can today. The result? I managed to taco the mattress in my attempt to stand it up on end for air drying and Punkin "enjoyed" his first time-out. And I know you'll likely tell me how useless and maybe even cruel it is to put an 18 month old in time-out, and perhaps you're right, but I have not and will never declare myself a perfect mother. And Punkin quickly amused himself in his high chair singing his Punkin songs and making zooming and crashing noises.

The mattress saga continues since I must wait for it to dry out before the next step in the cleaning process, but Punkin is finally napping and we managed to get some fresh air (and blackberries!) during a brief moment of sunshine. Thank goodness for walks in the sun.

No comments: