As a mom, I don’t get to eat out much. In fact, I can count the number times I’ve had dinner out this past year on one hand. And with babe in tow, it’s really become more of a hassle than it’s worth. But every so often, Veggie and I take advantage of Punkin’s early morning weekend wake ups and we bundle up, pack the diaper bag, and head off to our favorite breakfast joint. Now, you should know that we do not take eating breakfast out lightly. In fact, we’re down right snobs when it comes to choosing the place where we’ll fork over $6 for a side of bacon or wait 45 minutes just to get seated. We’ve got a few requirements and a laundry list of ideals when it comes to breakfast spots. So I was super excited when I saw the cover of Jan ’08 Seattle Metropolitan Magazine: “Hot Breakfast Spots.” We’ve got our own favorites, but I was curious to see what SeattleMet had to say, and to find a few new places to try.
Here are my basic requirements...
Better than what you make at home: Veggie and I make a damn good sunday scramble and the occasional malted waffle with fresh farmer’s market fruit. So in order to deserve our $12/plate, a breakfast spot has got to be worth the usual outrageous price gouging.
Worth the wait: anyone knows sunday brunch means long lines and many cups of coffee on an empty stomach....but this should only be the case if the food (and service) is worth the wait.
Never leave hungry: this is Veggie’s requirement cause I’ve never left a breakfast spot with anything less than an overstuffed belly.
Bottomless coffee cups: don’t you dare charge for drip refills, and hold the sludge please.
Decent service: I don’t expect my waiter’s to all be cheery faced and bright eyed when facing a hungry mob at 8am on Saturday morning, but don’t be bringing in the trainees, the kid-haters, or the hung-over slackers, puhleeeease.
Kid-Friendly: duh. High chairs are great. Crayons are better. A changing table in the bathroom and a carseat sling at the table? Bring it on!
Got your own basic requirements? Let me know, ‘cause I’m sure I’m leaving something out. Now on to my first review...
Catch up, stock up, and a timely metaphor
5 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment